- 1991 Rhode Island School of Design, B.F.A. with Honors
- 2017Omi International Arts Center, Ghent, NY
- 2016Reverse Constellation Punctuation, Princeton Architectural Press’ Paper + Goods Gallery, Hudson, New York
- 2015Constellation. Public Art Project, Hudson River, NY. June 2015 – Fall 2017
- 2014Palmas, Manitoga, Russel Wright Center, Garrison, NY
- 2012Recent Projects, Mad Dooley Gallery, Beacon, NY
- 2006 Slip Side, Skestos Gabriele Gallery, Chicago, IL
- 2004 Melissa McGill: Otherside, Power House, Memphis, TN
- The Othersiders, Rebecca Ibel Gallery, Columbus, OH
- Shadows and Othersiders, Galleria Marabini, Bologna, Italy
- 2003 Melissa McGill: Antipodes, White Cube, London, UK (publication) (Press Release)
- Melissa McGill, CRG Gallery, New York, NY (booklet)
- 2000 Melissa McGill, Susanne Hilberry Gallery, Birmingham, Michigan
- 1999 Melissa McGill, CRG Gallery, New York, NY
- Melissa McGill, Anthony Meier Fine Arts, San Francisco, CA
- Melissa McGill Sculpture, Susanne Hilberry Gallery, Birmingham, Michigan
- 1997 Myths, Inflections and Innuendoes, CRG Gallery, New York, NY
- 1996 Melissa McGill, Boesky & Callery Fine Art, New York, NY
- 1995 Melissa McGill, Real Art Ways, Hartford, CT
- 1993 Melissa McGill, Palazzo Capello, Venice, Italy
- 1990 Melissa McGill, Ox-Bow Gallery, Saugatuck, Michigan
- 2015Partial Presence, Zabludowicz Collection, London, UK
- 2012Permanent Collection, Nancy Margolis Gallery, NY
- Some Girls of Beacon, Howland Cultural Center, Beacon, NY
- 2011Summer Sculpture Show, CRG Gallery, NY
- 2010 The Ins and the Outs, The Catherine Konner Sculpture Park at ROCA, Nyack, NY
- The Library of Babel, In and Out of Place at 176, Zabludowicz Collection, London, UK
- 2005 Only Make-Believe: Ways of Playing, Compton Verney, Warwickshire, UK
- Fabulous, Rebecca Ibel Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2004 Parakeet Salon, Brooklyn, NY
- 2003 Breathless, Neuberger Museum of Art, Purchase, NY
- 2002 Re-Cast: Postmodern Classical, The Olympic Tower, CUNY, New York, NY
- Group Show, CRG Gallery, New York, NY
- Parakeet Salon, Brooklyn, NY
- 2001 Material Whirled, Art In General, curated by Laura Lobdell, New York, NY
- Reflection, Rebecca Ibel Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2000 Se Stacera Sono Qui…, Norrtalje Konsthall, Norrtalje, Sweden
- 1999 The Sea / The Sea, Murray Guy, New York, NY
- 1998 Rubber, Robert Miller Gallery, New York, NY
- 1997 Invited, Helman Gallery, New York, NY
- Summer Group Show, CRG Gallery, New York, NY
- Laying Low, Kunstnernes Hus, Olso, Norway
- 1996 Adicere Animos, Cesena-Cesenatico, Bologna, Italy
- La Toilette de Venus: Women and Mirrors, CRG, New York, NY
- 1995 Delving and Tinkering, E. F. Vandam, New York, NY
- 1993 Rendez(-)Vous, Museum van Hedendaagse Kunst, Ghent, Belgium
Rubbini, Alice. “Constellation – Melissa McGill,” AARTIC, July 16, 2016.
Pechman, Alexandra. “Five Things to do in Hudson,” Visionaire, June, 2016.
“Get up close to castle ruins, see Constellation,” Poughkeepsie Journal, May 5, 2016.
Lindsey, Erin. “A Visit to Bannerman Castle on Pollepel Island,” Escape Brooklyn, May 4, 2016.
“Constellation by Melissa McGill,” FLOS, February 17, 2015.
Fischer, Adelaide. “Constellation,” Regional Arts Victoria, February 15, 2016.
Shan, Karen Maserjian. “’Constellation’ shines light on Bannerman Castle, Poughkeepsie Journal, October 10, 2015.
Morris, Susan. “On View> Glimmering Light Installation Recalls the Destroyed Baronial Towers of Bannerman’s Castle Near New York City,” Architect’s Newspaper, August 4, 2015.
Ebony, David. “Destination Art: Melissa McGill’s Hudson River Constellation,” Art in America, August 3, 2015.
Block, Annie. “At One With The Stars: Melissa McGill Installs Constellation Above New York’s Bannerman Castle,” Interior Design, July 31, 2015.
Meier, Allison. “Bringing a Constellation Down to Earth at a Ruined Castle on the Hudson,” Hyperallergic, July 28, 2015.
Indrisek, Scott. “5 Must-See Shows in New York,” ArtInfo, July 22, 2015.
Small, Rachel. “Stars Across Time,” Interview Magazine, July 21, 2015.
Cohen, Alina. “In a Ruined New York Castle, a Constellation Appears,” Travel & Leisure, July 13, 2015.
LaDuke, Sarah. “Seventeen Stars Added To The Multitudes: Melissa McGill’s ‘Constellation’,” WAMC/BBC World Service Radio, July 11, 2015.
“Starry Skies ‘Constellation,’ a sculptural installation by artist Melissa McGill, shines new light on the ruins of Bannerman Castle,” National Trust for Historic Preservation Stories, July 9, 2015.
Brooks, Katherine. “Here’s A List Of All The Unconventional Art New Yorkers Need To See This Summer,” Huffington Post, July 8, 2015.
Evangelist, Gittel. “Beacon artist’s vision turns Bannerman Castle into light show,” Times Herald-Record, July 5, 2016.
Patterson, Elizabeth, “Melissa McGill’s Constellation,” Visionaire, July 1, 2015.
Felsenthal, Julia. “Artist Melissa McGill’s Constellation Brings the Stars Down to Earth,” Vogue, June 29, 2015.
McBride, Kelly. “Noteworthy: Constellation at Bannerman Castle,” Curator Magazine, June 29, 2015.
Kaufmann, Sebastian. “This Summer, Take a Kayak Tour to See Melissa McGill’s ‘Constellation’,” The Observer, June 28, 2015.
Braine, Bill. “Melissa McGill, ‘Constellation’,” Hudson Heartland, June 27, 2015.
Hirsch, Michele Lent. “An Abandoned Island Now Glows Star-Bright Under a New Constellation,” Smithsonian.com, June 26, 2015.
Cascone, Sarah. “Melissa McGill’s Stunning Starlight Artwork Floats Above a Castle on the Hudson,” ArtNet, June 25, 2015.
Loos, Ted. “A ‘Constellation’ of Light Above the Ruins of Bannerman Castle, New York Times, June 24, 2015.
Corbett, Rachel. “Art lights up the skies over the Hudson,” The Art Newspaper, June 2, 2015.
Sparrow. “Stars Fell on Pollepel,” Chronogram Magazine, June 1, 2015. Mendelsohn, Meredith. “Melissa McGill’s Art Installation Traces the Outline of a Crumbling Castle,” Architectural Digest, May 31, 2015.
Chung, Becky. “A New Constellation Rises Over the Hudson River,” The Creators Project, March 30, 2015.
- 2014“New Constellation To Emerge Over The Hudson,” WIGWAM: a home economy journal, May 19, 2014.
Rooney, Alison. “Manitoga’s Creative Experimentation Legacy Inspires Artist Residencies,” Philipstown.info, May 11, 2014.
Simpson, Dana. “Support The Arts: “Constellation” A Major New Public Art Project,” Hammertown Blog, April 30, 2014.
Lipton, Amy. “‘Constellation’ Artwork to Illuminate Bannerman Castle,” Philipstown.info, October 30, 2013.
Stark, David. “Coffee Talk: Melissa McGill,” David Stark Sketchbook,
April 25, 2011.
- 2006 The Drawing Book: A Survey of Drawing: The Primary Means Of Expression, Edited by Tania Kovats, Black Dog Press, 2006
- Artner, Alan. Reviews, Chicago Tribune, March 3, 2006
- 2004 Koeppel, Fredric, “Grace and serenity, inside-out,” Memphis Playbook, Nov. 19, p. 30
- Yates, Christopher A., “Unlikely Pairing Results In Strong, Divergent Shows,” The Columbus Dispatch, p. F3, June 27
- 2003 Baker, Simon. “Hands Holding the Void,” Antipodes: Inside the White Cube, Edited by Louise Neri.
- Goddard, Donald. New York Art World. April.Nylon, April Issue, p.81
- 2002 Lapidus, Rachel. “Concentrating on Air: Melissa McGill’s Instances (The Three Graces) Exhibition Catalog.
- 2001 Starker, Melissa. “Here’s Looking at You…’, Columbus Alive, May 10.
- 1999 Heartney, Eleanor. Melissa McGill-Review, Art in America, Sept. Issue
- Cohen, Keri Guten. Melissa McGill-Review, Detroit Free Press, June 20
- Tysh, George. “Two Cool”, MetroTimes, Aug. 4.
- Johnson, Ken. Melissa McGill-Review, New York Times, March 5.
- Spaid, Sue. “Slugs and Fuzz,” Village Voice, March 9, p.133
- Bonetti, David. “Boomerang”, Gallery Watch/San Francisco Examiner, February 5.
- 1998 Glueck, Grace. “The Antithesis of Minimalism’s Cool Geometry: Fleshy Rubber”, The New York Times, Feb. 13.
- Whitney, Scott. “Rubber”, New York Post, February 7.
- Kino, Carol. “Rubber”, Time Out, New York, February 26.
- Levin, Kim. “Rubber”, The Village Voice, Feb. 17
- Nahas, Dominique. “Rubber”, Review, February Issue.
- Thorkildsen, Asmund, Laying Low, Kunstnernes Hus Olso, Norway (catalogue)
- 1997 Arning, Bill. Review, Art in America, September Issue
- 1996 McClure, Lissa. “La Toilette de Venus:Women and Mirrors”, Review Art, Sept. 15.
- Stevens, Mark. “Shining Stars,” New York Magazine, Sept. 23.
- Rubbini, Alice. Adicere Animos, Bologna, Italy (exhibition catalogue)
- 1995 Rosoff, Patricia. “Take the Real Art Ways Plunge”, Hartford Advocate, April 6.
- Zoilkowski, Thad. “The Via Via,” Real Art Ways, Hartford, March (exhibition essay)
- 2015 McGill, Melissa, with Sam Anderson, Tracy K. Smith, Richard Blanco, Hadrien Coumans, Joe Baker, Edwin Torres, and Jeffrey Yang (Contributors). Constellation, Princeton: Princeton Architectural Press, 2015.
- 2003 McGill, Melissa. Melissa McGill, New York: CRG Gallery, 2003.
Teaching Experience & Artist Lectures
- 2017 University of Technology and Design School of Art, RMIT, Melbourne, Australia, Visiting Artist Lecture
- 2016 Women in Public Art Symposium, OMI International Arts Center, Ghent, NY, Featured Speaker
- Lulu and Leo Fund, New York, NY, Artist Workshop
- School of Visual Arts, New York, NY, MFA Art Practice Program, Visiting Artist Lecture
- Development and presentation of public programming for Constellation public art project
- The Sloop Clearwater, Hudson River, Artist Lecture
- 2015 Storm King Art Center, Visiting Artist Workshop
- State University of New York Orange, Newburgh, NY, Visiting Artist Master Class
- School of Visual Arts, New York, NY, MFA Art Practice Program, Visiting Artist Lecture
- University of Technology and Design School of Art, RMIT, Melbourne, Australia, Visiting Artist Lecture
- Development of public programming for Constellation public art project
- 2014 Manitoga: The Russel Wright Design Center, Visiting Artist Workshop
- 2013 DIA: Beacon, Mark Making with Sound, Visiting Artist Workshop
- 2011 DIA: Beacon, Mark Making with Sound, Visiting Artist Workshop
- 2003 Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD, Adjunct Faculty
- 2002 New York University, New York. Department of Art and Art Professions, Adjunct Faculty
Grants, Awards, and Residencies
- 2015“Art Works” Grant from The National Endowment for the Arts
- 2014Artist Residency Program, Manitoga, Russel Wright Center, Garrison, NY
- 2013Boomerang Fund for Artists, Rockville, MD
- 2004Arts/Industry Residency, John Michael Kohler Arts Center, Kohler, WI
- Wheaton Studio Residency, Wheaton Village, New Jersey
- 2003Residency, Fundacion Valparaiso, Almeria, Spain
- 2002Arts/Industry Residency, John Michael Kohler Arts Center, Kohler, WI
- 1999The CAC/Guggenheim Artist Residency Grant
- 1996Art Matters
- 1990Ox-Bow Fellowship, The Art Institute of Chicago, Saugatuck, Michigan
- Sylvie Leslie Young Herman Scholarship
The Huffington Post: There’s A Strange Castle In The Hudson, And One Artist Is Mapping Its Story In Stars October 19, 2016
ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST: MELISSA MCGILL’S ART INSTALLATION TRACES THE OUTLINE OF A CRUMBLING CASTLE June 26, 2015
ARTNET NEWS: Melissa McGill’s Stunning Starlight Artwork Floats Above a Castle on the Hudson June 25, 2015
Upstate Diary – Melissa McGill January 28, 2015